We’ve been keeping a close eye on the measles outbreak in Florida.
It first started in South Florida, eventually making its way to Central Florida. And now, measles has been reported in Orlando. Here’s what we know.
Orlando Health has confirmed four measles cases at its Central Florida emergency departments within the past month, the Orlando Sentinel has reported. State officials say there is “no outbreak” in the Orlando area itself.
Orlando Health confirms 4 measles cases, but there’s no local spread, state officials say https://t.co/7neFkoYM1K pic.twitter.com/mw4BOTg6Ro
— Orlando Sentinel (@orlandosentinel) February 29, 2024
One case was an adult with the other three being children under 2, according to a spokesperson for Orlando Health.
No other details have been released at this time, but the Florida Department of Health has reported only two measles cases in kids less than 2 years old in 2024. This means at least one case treated by Orlando Health this month has not been recorded in the public tally for the state.
The state health department has reported 10 measles cases in 2024 so far: nine in Broward County and one in Polk County. Most of the Broward cases were linked to a single school, Manatee Bay Elementary.
Weesam Khoury is a Florida Department of Health spokesperson who wouldn’t discuss specifics about the Orlando patients, but said, “There is no community outbreak of measles in Orlando.”
She continued, “Cases of communicable diseases are not classified as a Florida case if they are not residents. If a non-Florida resident gets a communicable disease outside Florida, it is not a Florida case.”
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported that as of Friday there have been at least 35 measles cases in 15 states in 2024, most of which are related to international travel.
In addition, the Florida Surgeon General, Joseph Ladapo, shared a letter telling parents that despite 21 days being the recommended time to keep unvaccinated kids at home when exposed, the decision to keep their children home was up to them. This goes against traditional public health guidance and garnered criticism.
“This [advice] is contrary to 50 years of really good public health policy,” said Dr. Kenneth Alexander, chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases at Nemours Children’s Health in Orlando. “We’re leaving up to parents a decision that parents don’t have the toolset to make.”
To avoid contracting this highly contagious disease, the CDC recommends “children get two doses of the vaccine, with a first dose at ages 12 through 15 months, and the second dose at 4 through 6 years of age.”
Stay tuned to DFB as we continue to bring you news you can use ahead of your next Disney World trip.






Our handy (and portable!) ebook guides make sure you get the best deals and can plan a vacation of a lifetime.

TRENDING NOW
This week was BIG for Disney sneak peeks and previews!
We finally have an opening date for the new expansion of Kynren in England!
EPCOT is seeing five changes in June this year and if you are heading to...
If you’re planning a Disney vacation soon, these are the Amazon finds can completely change...
Two new character meet and greets have arrived in Hollywood Studios!
The Walt Disney Company has announced NEW leadership changes.
TSA PreCheck users need to keep these rules in mind when gearing up to fly.
Disney Vacation Club Members have some BIG new perks and discounts for 2026, but not...
Disney World restaurant menus changed this week.
Could another Indiana Jones themed project be coming to Hollywood Studios?
We made a FREE printable guide to every Disney World hotel, including our favorites, the...
Heads up if you're going to Annual Passholder previews this week!
Looking for the perfect new cup for the 4th of July? Check out these new...
EPCOT is one of the best Disney World parks to grab a bite to eat....
One of the most popular single rider lines in Disney World MIGHT be getting removed.
Disney's Fourth of July fireworks just got easier to watch!
We've quickly become big fans of this travel humidifier!
A NEW Dooney & Bourke x Jarrod Maruyama collection just dropped on the Disney Store!
Some new Loungeflys have just dropped!
Disneyland is facing a $5 million lawsuit due to its new facial recognition technology.